Solar kiln in F360

Looks like a cool design. Is there anything in the plans or papers that explains why the back corners and center column of the back wall are so beefy?

I probably won't post more images, if you're curious about the design, use the viewer, it updates as I make changes.

I'm currently adding siding to figure out the most efficient layout. I restructured the side walls to work with the width of the siding standing vertically. The original plans had the polycarbonate going all the way to the peak. I may shorten the lengths of it to 8' as I'm looking at some double walled polycarbonate that Menards sells, which is similar to my greenhouse's siding. I'll use osb/siding above it.

Cool

Fusion 360 is a great software. I love that it's parametric.

I just feel better with Solidworks only because I used it for 12 years at my last job, pretty much daily.
Both are equally capable.
I’m getting used to it. I still use SketchUp time to time. One reason for this project was for doing parametric design, but still haven’t quite figured out how to do that, utilize a component library, and still do the parts sheets.

I’d like to just have a 2x4 component, enter its length, copy it x number of times, and have it all add up. Instead I’m pretty much creating a component, drawing the sketch, extruding, copying x number of times, and having to still make copies. Seems like I should be able to lose some of those steps and just use a base component, then group the ones I want to be counted as the same

In solidworks the process is much the same. Sketch and extrude. If I am building a shed that uses a bunch of 2x4's I copy them in the assembly.

If I change the length on the original sketch ALL of the 2x4'4 in the assembly will update.

For dimensioning, to be parametric use equations. A lot like excel or in some programming languages. a dimension may be something =a+2 or something similar.

The parametrics work well in the assembly.

That makes sense. :thumb: For those corner columns, are you planning to use stacked 2x4s or will they be single pieces of wider boards?
I haven't decided. I was actually thinking of taking the header all the way up to the top and the wall currently above it to come down the 7 1/2". I still need to draw up the overhead piece that the fans mount to, which will tell me how much clearance they need. It's really just a piece of osb hanging down with the fan holes in it and some framing to stiffen it up. They could be 4x6's but with siding over them, I'm not sure it would save much cost or even add it.

I'm drawing this up to make sense of their plans, but do plan on making some changes for maybe a small mechanical room/control box on the side for housing a dehumidifier, a heating coil (hydronic probably), and other control equipment. It's already a few feet shorter, more for 10' lumber vs 12'.

In solidworks the process is much the same. Sketch and extrude. If I am building a shed that uses a bunch of 2x4's I copy them in the assembly.

If I change the length on the original sketch ALL of the 2x4'4 in the assembly will update.

For dimensioning, to be parametric use equations. A lot like excel or in some programming languages. a dimension may be something =a+2 or something similar.

The parametrics work well in the assembly.
Yeah, I think the piece I'm missing from Sketchup is the 3d warehouse catalog and how to just bring in components that are somewhat already built and update some parameters to make the component the size I want easily, rather than doing everything from a sketch and extrusion. I've seen it done by using existing drawings, importing them, and unlinking them from the originals. Just seemed like a lot of steps. It's not a huge thing, I'm sure there is a better way and I'm still learning a lot.

I do have yet to see what add-ons are out there and what they can do. I did see that there is a McCarr Master catalog link to download and import many components in that way from their catalog, which is super cool.

I use McMaster downloads all the time, even when I don't plan to order from them.

I also find solid models of Stove, Dishwasher, Frig and anything else I can find online. Helps me in designing my kitchen.

Sketch and extrusion becomes second nature. It is literary seconds of time. I cannot search online nearly as fast as I can create from sketch and extrude. Most times I just throw down a rectangle and dimension it, then extrude. Anything else is just a modification of the component - like adding a dado or a hole or slot. I have tools in solidworks that make that stuff quick and easy. I am sure Fusion also has the tools.