Stacked Text With 3d models

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Just playing around. Went through a tutorial Darren had put together and then thought it'd be nice to have some 3d modeling components added to it.

I had gotten some 3d model packs when I upgraded and used a 'plaque' and a howling wolf/coyote. Was a bit tricky, but just kind of went slow and figured things out a bit at a time.

Might cut this in either ply or mdf for practice.

1689466698775.png

Cool! I like the wolf superimposed on the moon. And the beer fixed a lot of your centering issue. (Which is odd, because usually beer throws centering off for most people, lol.) Whichever design you decide to use, I think this is going to look neat when done.

The space between the W and the E is tricky with large serifs. If you open a small gap between the serifs at the top of the letters, you also increase the already-large gap between the bodies of the letters. Have you experimented with a font that has slightly smaller serifs?

FWIW, I like the wolf with the small moon - no beer. When I want to make sure objects are centered, I group items like the first names and use the 'Move' function to align them with another object, using the other object's coordinates.

The space between the W and the E is tricky with large serifs. If you open a small gap between the serifs at the top of the letters, you also increase the already-large gap between the bodies of the letters. Have you experimented with a font that has slightly smaller serifs?
Just playing around with the software. I'll try some different fonts. One of the tutorials I saw did specifically mention a way of adjusting the spacing so that everything kind of worked better. I'll have to go through that one again.
When I want to make sure objects are centered, I group items like the first names and use the 'Move' function to align them with another object, using the other object's coordinates.
I'll give that a shot. Not sure I'm really going to carve this one. But it is good practice.

Well, Decided to go through all the steps, make another one and cut it out. It worked, but I learned a lot about setting cut depths, using clearance tools, etc...

This was just on mdf so probably prone to some of the fluffy corners. Will look at what options I have on bits and rpms and feed rates next time.

But just happy to make 'something' while it was 104 in the garage.

1689560536370.png

Nice job. Really worked hard to get that look. I don't really like the stacked effect, it does not read clear. Perhaps a paint job to distinguish the layers would make the lower level pop.
David